Serious Health Problems from Smoking
Cigarette smoking by young people leads to immediate and serious health problems including respiratory and non-respiratory effects, addiction to nicotine, and the associated risk of other drug use.
What Should I Do to Prepare for a PBL/CBL Module?
The following are suggestions for checklist items you may want to use when you are preparing to implement a CyberSurgeons case-based or problem-based learning module:
□ Become familiar with the module you plan to use.
- browse the background information for content and organization
- imagine how students might search for information
□ Consider the type of final report formats you will accept, such as:
- written submissions
- electronic submissions
- classroom question/answer sessions
□ Map out the timeline for the project.
- module-only time line
- module + other covered curricula
- hard start + extended time
- independent study
□ Create a briefing package that includes handouts of scenario or case study timeline final report options
- formats/requirements for all options
- evaluation criteria
□ Arrange access to various resources.
- online resources
□ Determine the working environment collaborative arrangements
- Who chooses the team members (you or teams self-select)?
- How many members on a team?
- Where will the class meet for collaborative work (if the classroom is not the best environment)?
- student roles
- resource or technology allocation reserved computers, printers, and other equipment
- logistics of shared resources
- homework vs. schoolwork balance
□ Choose appropriate assessment methods.
- evaluation forms
- technological competence
- team participation
- team member contribution
- final project quality
- peer review
Adapted from: Center of Educational Technologies (Classroom of the Future) Exploring the Environment website http://www.cotf.edu/ete