Diabetes and Insulin
Diabetes is a condition of having high levels of sugar in the blood caused when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin. Insulin is a hormone that lowers the amount of sugar in the blood by allowing the body's cells to uptake the glucose supplied to them.
21st Century Themes Addressed by CyberSurgeons Problem-based and Case-based Learning Modules
CyberSurgeons PBL and CBL modules reflect a holistic view of 21st century teaching and learning that combines a focus on 21st century student outcomes (a blending of specific skills, content knowledge, expertise and literacies) with innovative support systems to help students master the multi-dimensional abilities required of them in the 21st century.
CyberSurgeons students should:
• Obtain, interpret and understand basic health information and services and use such information in ways that are health enhancing.
• Understand preventive physical and mental health measures, including proper diet, nutrition exercise, risk avoidance and stress reduction.
• Use available ifnromation to make appropriate health-related decisions
• Establish and monitor personal and family health goals
Learning and Innovation Skills
• Use various types of reasoning (inductive, deductive, etc.)
• Analyze how parts of a whole interact with each other to produce overall outcomes in complex systems
• Effectively analyse and evaluate evidence, arguments, claims and beliefs
• Interpret information and draw conclusions based on the best analysis
• Identify and ask significant questions that clarify various points of view and lead to better solutions
• Communicate effectively in diverse environments
• Demonstrate ability to work effectively and respectfully with diverse teams
• Assume shared responsibility for collaborative work and value the individual contributions made by each team member
Information, Media and Technology Skills
• Evaluate information critically and competently
• Use information accurately and creatively for the issue or problem at hand
• Manage the flow of information from a wide variety of sources
Life and Career Skills
• Adapt to varied roles, jobs, responsibilities, schedules, and context
• Work effectively in a climate of ambiguity and changing priorities
• Be flexible
• Interact effectively with others
• Conduct themselves in a respectable, professional manner
Leadership and Responsibility
• Use interpersonal and problem-solving skills to influence and guide others toward a goal
• Leverage strengths of others to accomplish a common goal
• Act responsibility with the interests of the larger community in mind